It is difficult enough moving all the equipment and IT. Specialty companies can do much of the reconfiguration and movement for you, but many times it is the individual offices that can be the biggest challenge making it easier on the staff helps build commoradorie for the next location.
Here are some tips to help your group prepare for the move or reconfiguration.
• DESKS – It is necessary to empty desks. Paper clips, pencils and other loose items should be sealed in envelopes. Current working papers, letter trays, books and items on top of the desk should be packed in a carton. Protect all glass receptacles with paper or other material in the carton.
• FILING CABINETS/UPRIGHT – These cabinets will generally be moved with contents intact. Tighten the internal draw to hold contents in place. Lock the cabinet if possible. If not possible, secure each drawer with filament tape. If locked, remove the key and pack in a safe place. Note: If the file has a punch-in lock and you do not have the key, wrap tape around the clock to avoid accidental locking.
• PICTURES, MAPS AND BULLETIN BOARDS – These items, if secured to the wall, should be removed. Tag each piece and leave against the wall. The mover will handle. Small pictures, etc., should be consolidated so as to fill a carton. Newspaper should be stuffed in empty spaces between the pictures.
• FILING CABINETS/LATERAL – These cabinets cannot be moved with the contents intact. Pack all of the contents in cartons, and secure the drawers by locking or with tape.
• BOOKCASES – All contents should be packed in cartons. After packing, remove the shelves and tape together. Remove the shelf pins and pack in an envelope.
• SUPPLY OR STORAGE CABINETS – All contents should be packed in cartons. Lock/tape the cabinet doors.
• SMALLER OFFICE MACHINES, (scanners, printers, etc.) DO NOT PACK THESE MACHINES. Leave the machine on top of the desk or stand. Be sure the equipment has been serviced and all components disconnected. Small items, such as power cords should be packed in zip lock bags or cartons.
• SPECIAL EQUIPMENT – Certain types of equipment such as copiers or computer equipment require special servicing by the company trained personnel. These arrangements should be made directly with the vendor of each particular machine prior to the move date. Personal Computers should be backed-up and separate components should be disconnected prior to moving. Remove loose wires and pack in box.
Information gathered by Huron Township LDFA